Parkersburg Fire Department.: Candle caused house fire on Broadway Avenue

WTAP News @ 10
Published: Jan. 3, 2023 at 9:57 PM EST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

PARKERSBURG, W.Va. (WTAP) - UPDATE 1/4/2023 12:39 P.M.

The house was significantly damaged during the fire but is not a total loss according to the Parkersburg Fire Chief Jason Matthews.

Chief Matthews also said the fire was ruled accidental after a candle had caught fire in a bedroom.

He said the house took significant damage because the resident tried to extinguish the fire themselves before calling 911.


A house on Broadway Avenue in Parkersburg caught on fire on Tuesday night at 9:00 p.m.

The house is across the street from Fairplains Elementary School. Firefighters had the fire out around 9:30 p.m. Dispatchers say everyone in the house got out safely.

WTAP is still working to get details about how the house caught on fire and how badly it is damaged.